Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day Twenty-one

Something that makes me happy is Christmas, and since I haven't yet blogged about my holiday, I thought this would be a good time to do so.

I had a really fantastic Christmas. And it wasn't just because I made out like a bandit, either. Christmas was different this year, which I didn't exactly have a great attitude about. My sisters were all at their in-laws' so our typical Christmas Eve traditions were cast aside. I recognize needing to share my sisters now that they're married, but that doesn't mean I'm good at it. I was angry that we weren't finding a way to make things work, and I was bitter that Christmas Eve was going to just be David and me with our parents.

Then Jen invited me to a Dollar Movie on Christmas Eve morning. I hadn't been to the new Ross at Valley Fair, so I hit it up before the movie, buying myself some new outfits to get me in a good mood. The mood improved when I was met outside the movie by Ashley with a plate of our family's famous (okay, no one cares about it except us) peanut butter and chocolate fudge. I met Jen's family in the theater to see Despicable Me, and their youngest started out on my lap. She was so funny, laughing at everything, which of course made me laugh. And let's face it, you can't be in a bad mood when you're laughing.

I left the movie and did some last-minute shopping and wrapping. Then I loaded up Jamie's truck, which she graciously allowed me to borrow while she was in Vegas for Christmas. Loading all of the wrapped packages I had bought for everyone made me really excited to go GIVE the presents. I met my parents and David for dinner, which was enjoyable. We watched the bowl game and had great conversation, followed by an impressive light show at the Valley Fair Mall. Have you been there recently? The renovations are really quite incredible.

I went home and got Zipsie and then headed back out to my parents' house. We started a fire in the fireplace, which we haven't done for years. Later on, David and I went out to Jen's for a visit and got back to my parents' around 1:30. Then we stayed up talking until about 3. At 5:45 my alarm went off, and I headed back to Jen's so I could watch her kids open their presents from Santa. I've never had the chance to do that before, and it abosolutely made my Christmas. They were so excited and grateful. No one can capture the spirit of Christmas like a child, let alone 5 of my favorite kids in the whole world.

The rest of my day included talking to Matt, exchanging sibling gifts (ADORABLE owl pillows, beautiful black purse, and my new-favorite 2 pair of shoes from Jenny), a humbling and underserved gift from my parents in the form of a Kindle, taking a nap with Zipsie, and visiting Adiel for the first time since she got into town. It was a really fantastic day.

How was your Christmas? Did you enjoy any long-standing traditions or start new ones? Whatever you did and wherever you were, I hope you had a magical Christmas.

No comments: