Sunday, September 9, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Summer

The interesting thing about being in a small singles ward is that my calling includes some random but enjoyable jobs, like planning activities. Our Bishop really wants us to have a combined activity every month (I think he thinks it will help people get married), so along with the EQP in our ward, I threw together a little farewell to summer "campout" with stargazing and marshmallow roasting. 

One of my counselors recommended Two Rivers State Park as a place we could go for the activity. The only problem is they don't take reservations for their day use areas, and when I called to get information on the park the man I spoke with indicated that their group picnic areas fill up quickly on Saturdays. He recommended we get there early. The activity wasn't set to start until 7pm, and I was worried about not having a spot, so I made plans with Jen and Glori to spend the day at the park in order to keep a spot reserved for the ward activity. Toby was even able to meet up with us for part of the night. 

We had a great afternoon full of good conversation, hanging out, and playing card games. 

Glori brought her dog, Callie, to the park so Zipsie would have company
Glori taught us how to play Poker, and we bet with Cheez-its. The pathetic pile in the back is mine. The one up close is Jen's

Jen mentioned that she never really climbed trees when she was younger, and she decided it was never too late to start 
The ward got to the park as the sun was setting. We had a great turnout, and I think everyone had a good time
Zipsie and I started our day at 9am when we began running errands. She was over-stimulated all day with the sights and smells of being outdoors. When we finally arrived home a little before midnight, she was completely tuckered out
While Jen and I battled guilt all day from ignoring the homework we had brought to the park with us, we acknowledged at the end of the night that as we get deeper into this crazy semester, we'll be very limited on our chances to relax and just enjoy the weekend. I'm glad we took the time to do that today. (Of course, as I enter yet another week of this semester further behind in my coursework than I want to be, I might start doubting the wisdom of that decision.) Regardless, right now I'm extremely grateful for a fun Saturday with friends!

No comments: