Monday, June 6, 2011

It's Criminal

I love to order from Barnes and Noble’s website. The books are always delivered quickly, and most of the time it’s cheaper than buying at the store. I still would rather shop for books in person, so I usually reserve online shopping for when I have a single, specific book I need to buy (like for school or Book Club). Last week, I saw that one of my favorite books was on sale for like $7 online, and since I didn’t yet own a copy I jumped right on it. As always, I got my “Scheduled to Ship” email almost immediately and the “On its Way” email shortly thereafter. Delivery was scheduled for Friday.

Friday morning I checked the tracking and saw that it was out for delivery as of 8:20am, so I was excited knowing that meant I’d have it when I got home.

Except, I didn’t.

Packages usually get left directly inside the door to our building, outside the “security gate” (that isn’t secure at all) and next to our mailboxes. I was surprised that not only was the package not there waiting but I didn’t have a “Sorry we missed you” tag or anything like that. Then I thought the UPS guy must have gotten in the gate and left it outside my apartment.

Nope.

So, I thought I’d check the tracking again. Maybe there was a note saying I needed to pick it up from a local office. But I got online and there was a delivery confirmation saying the package had been delivered at 9:55am. At this point I started to freak out a little. Now, I know we’re talking about a measly $7 book. But it’s MY measly $7 book. Packages don’t actually get stolen, right? There was probably just a mix-up with the tracking information. It would be delivered tomorrow.

But it wasn’t.

I emailed Barnes and Noble, not knowing what else to do. Then I left this note by the building’s mailboxes:


I knew if someone had actually stolen my book, a note probably wouldn’t make much difference. But it made me feel better, like I was doing something to control the situation. All day Saturday and Sunday if Zipsie barked or I heard someone walking past our door I’d glance out the peephole, hoping to see my package miraculously returned. Alas, I did not.

Last night while I took Zipsie for a walk, I called my mom to ask her if that’s the sort of thing I should report to the police. I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it, but I thought maybe it was important to contribute to a paper trail if this was happening a lot in the area. Mom suggested I contact UPS to see if I could get specific information about where the package was left and then call the local PD with the information.

Zipsie and I got home and hung out for a bit, me feeling angry and sad that I might have actually been stolen from, thinking I’d wait for an email back from Barnes and Noble before deciding what to do. This morning I woke up to take Zipsie out and opened the door to this:


No box, no note of apology explaining a mistake had been made, but my book with the packing slip inside.

For a brief moment I felt very grateful. I had prayed over the weekend that the book would just be returned, and I recognized that my prayer had been answered. But then, I felt angry. Really angry. And I still do. I brought the book inside and didn’t even feel happy looking at it. It’s like I don’t even want it anymore.

Is that the most illogical reaction ever?

And I think it’s important to point out the irony of this entire situation. The book involved?


The Book Thief by Mark Zusak

9 comments:

Annie said...

It was probably the title that made them return it. That's not cool at all. And UPS shouldn't just leave it sitting there in a public area.

Jen said...

That's funny, sad, ironic, and maddening all at once. Your note was the key - I firmly believe that's the only reason you have it now.

I understand about you feeling like rejecting it now that you've got it back. Just leave it on the shelf for a while. You'll laugh about it later.

Pj.steph said...

That made me laugh a little. Glad you got your book back! Also, I love your handwriting. :)

Contact: Ashley Mills said...

That is simply ridiculous! That would make me feel so uneasy knowing that someone stole from me in my own buidling! BTW do you have water?

Wendy said...

Annie and Jen, thanks for sympathizing. Steph, the handwriting compliment means a lot coming from you. Ash, yes :) We still have water, thankfully!

David said...

You have every right to be furious! I would be too! Who does that sort of thing? It definitely is a crime! And how ironic is that that they stole the book thief! And that book is just too good to be mad about. I like what Jen said, set it aside and come back to it in a while.

Rosalee said...

That wasn't from David, it was from me! Oops!

Melissa DeMoux said...

Oooh, I would be mad too! I hope it gave the culprits a paper cut when they opened it(ok, not really, hopefully they learned something from the experience) Still, I'm glad you got it back...and that is a great book, it just went on a bit of an adventure before it came home to you.

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

I still chuckle that it was THAT book. P.S. Is it weird that I miss your handwriting?