Friday, June 17, 2011

Compared to You, I’m Ridiculous

Have you noticed how miserable your situation can seem when you start making comparisons? When you measure life against the lives of others, you’re left with two possible outcomes: pride or depression. Who wants either? I think I’m more likely guilty of the former–I carefully make comparisons only when I know I’ll come out on top. That’s because I’m naturally prideful. But I guess some stupid hobbies that I developed in the last few days have opened my eyes to how people can walk through life so discontented. Typically, people with a “woe is me” attitude drive me insane. I’ll admit; I allow myself to complain over petty annoyances. But I think people are usually aware that I’m happy with life. I’ve never understood the girls my age whose only focus is marriage or kids. It’s frustrating for me to look at my life and feel complete and then have the attitude of someone in a similar situation subtly suggest that maybe I shouldn’t be content. Because haven’t I noticed? I’m not married. I’ve always felt that someone’s complaint over their station in life–a station at which I too sit–is also a judgment against me. If they think it’s weird that they’re single, doesn’t that mean they think it’s weird I’m single, too? That bothers me.

But in the last 48 hours, I’ve been acting really dumb. I started lamenting everything in my life, it seems. I have no money, my dog isn’t obedient, I’m not going to a Top Tier law school, my car isn’t nice, I’m lonely, my hair isn’t naturally flawless, I screwed up at BYU and will always have a crappy GPA, my bread is moldy... That’s right. I went to make lunch this morning and saw that my bread was moldy. And that’s where I drew the line. If I was going to continue to complain about my bread’s cultural evolution, I could not continue to live with myself.

So, I’m done. I need an attitude adjustment, and that’s what I’m setting out to accomplish. Farewell comparisons. Hello contentment; I’ve missed you.

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

That is exactly what I needed to hear! Thank you! Recently I've been in a real funk because I think I should have everything my friends have. All from comparison. I've come to the same conclusion--I just need to be happy and content with my life. Easier said than done. Thanks for your point of view!

Melissa DeMoux said...

Good for you! I don't know why we can't be happy with our life whatever it is (even if I am far from perfect at that...we all complain sometimes). This world would be rotten if we were all in the same place at the same time (the book "The Giver" comes to mind--turn seven get a bike, turn twenty get a spouse etc...sounds a bit like Satan's plan to me) and think of all the things we wouldn't learn and ways we wouldn't grow if everything in life was blatantly "equal". We would all be missing out (even if we do wish for obedient dogs...I have a couple of canine trouble makers too...sigh).P.S. I'm pretty sure you are awesome by comparison!

Krista said...

I love you Wendy! I had an almost identical situation this week and realized I needed a serious attitude adjustment and voila I feel much better! I hope you continue to progress! You are such a neat person and I appreciate you in my life!

Wendy said...

Thanks for your comments. It's so helpful to know other people sometimes have the same (or similar) issues. Love you all :)