Monday, March 9, 2009

Princess

She plays with batman swords while wearing frilly dresses

She's a master at painting both finger- and toenails

She knows she can get what she wants by just asking a dad, grandpa, or uncle

She's funny, intelligent, witty, and aware

She's loving as an older sister and a cherished as a younger

She gives the best hugs around

She can put me in a good mood faster than anyone I know

She means so much to me


As Rosebud grows bigger and more beautiful by the day, as Jess gets closer and closer to delivering her precious baby girl, as Ashley looks at more and more pink decor, I'm realizing how things are changing in my family. We used to be dominated by boys, with 3 nephews and no nieces. Then my freshman year of college, Princess was born. I thought I loved being an aunt before that, but she taught me a lot about love in just her first few hours of life. I remember after the family cleared out, returning to their respective jobs, I was able to stay in the hospital room with Jen and Heath. Exhausted, they napped while I held her. Since that day, she has been such a joy in my life. I have marveled at all the intricacies of her enormous personality. I wasn't sure what I'd think about having another niece, but when I held Rosebud for that first time, I realized that love expands to encompass all the important people that enter your life. But I still can't stop thinking about how special Princess is to me. I hope it always stays that way.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That was so beautiful! Thank you for sharing your feelings so openly. You are a wonderful aunt, a role I will never share in the same way as you.