Thursday, February 17, 2011

You know what I love?

This kid


I got this invitation from Jen for my nephew's birthday party. First, I can't believe I'm old enough to have a teenage nephew. Second, this boy is so awesome.

I've tried explaining this feeling to a couple of people now and can't seem to get it right, so I doubt this post will be any better. Lately, I've just really liked "Potter." I don't know how else to say it. Although he doesn't have a cell phone, he got an iPod for Christmas and he downloaded a texting app. I think it is so fun when he texts me. Is that dorky? Probably. But there's just something cool about having a nephew in that generation.

When I'm at Jen's house, I look forward to talking to Potter. I enjoy our conversations. This isn't to say that I don't love talking to all of my nieces and nephews, because I do. But something changed recently with Potter. It's like he's a full-fledged person. I can remember being in 7th grade, and I love hearing his take on it. I can remember my celebrity crushes from when I was his age and how fun they were, so I love when he tells me about Selena Gomez. I can remember being a brat to my parents, and it's interesting watching him enter that phase. (I'm sure Jen would use a word other than "interesting," but luckily I'm not the parent :)

Then just yesterday Jenny gave the OK for Potter to help us out in a chorus role in the next musical I'm choreographing. I've been having a negative attitude about the show. I agreed to it back before I knew I'd be taking classes this semester, and I've been really stressed thinking about the time and energy the show is going to require. But now that I know that time and energy will be spent with and on my nephew, I have a renewed desire to give this thing my all. A lot of my philosophy as an aunt is centered around the fact that I grew up without any extended family nearby. I find myself thinking, "I would have loved the chance to do that with my aunt," and that's how I feel about Potter being in the musical.

I hope it will be the wonderful and memorable experience I'm anticipating.

No comments: