Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Excuse me

Last night I was watching an episode of Criminal Minds (surprise) called "Damaged." In it, there is the following interchange:

(discussing Rossi)
Prentiss: He might need our help.
Garcia: He didn't ask anyone for help.
Prentiss: Penelope, Rossi is a guy who color codes his handwritten notes in his notebooks: blue pen for evidentiary items, red pen for supposition and theory. The guy is a fussy, anal-retentive neat-freak who never leaves anything out of its place. (pointing to the mess in Rossi's office) I would say this is a scream for help.


I would never be described as fussy, anal-retentive, or a neat-freak. But, isn't this normal?


That's my monthly report. When I finish a case, I cross it out. That's normal, right? That's how I keep track of where I am in the 60 pages. But apparently, people think the colors are weird. I think they make sense. I can look at this picture and easily tell you the bottom case got set up for tracking. The one above I did nothing with because it was current. The one above that I emailed the Judge's clerk with a question about.

On my work calendar, I see dates circled in different colors. Fuschia: I'm covering the front counter. Purple: I'm covering Protective Orders. Orange: I have the dates scheduled off.

I still identify very strongly with the color blue, because that was my color on our family calendar growing up. When I think of Jen, I see green. Ashley, purple. Jessica, pink.

Are you telling me this isn't normal? And if it's not, I'd love to know--how on earth do people organize without color coding? Weirdos.

2 comments:

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

You and your color coding... ;)

Katers said...

And that explains why I'm red and your purple on the apartment calandar...it all makes sense now...