Sunday, July 4, 2010

"When in the course of human events..."

Happy 4th of July!

I honestly love this holiday. I love it for so many reasons: the unlikely history of the nation's birth, the chance to reaffirm your patriotism, time spent with family, traditions. All of it lends itself to creating the highlight of my summer each year. But where better to spend Independence Day than right in the nation's capital? Maybe Philadelphia, which I plan to do someday, but I'm not convinced that even there could top the experience of July 4th in Washington, D.C.

I convinced Ashley and Nic to take me to the fireworks at the National Mall. We had a chill day, going to church and then just relaxing at the apartment. At about 5pm, we headed out. Ashley made a mistake by handing me the camera and telling me to take pictures of anything I wanted.

The first few pictures just catalogued our walk downtown...





At one point Ashley told Nic to push the stroller and ran out into the street. I had no idea what she was doing until she pulled me out with her and pointed straight ahead. It was my first glimpse of the White House and I almost cried.
There were more law enforcement vehicles out than I have ever seen. The coolest ones were these armored cars. They had the back doors open and what looked like secret service agents, all in black, sitting in the back.


The Executive Office Building, under construction, but awesomely decorated for the Fourth:


The street where EVERYTHING is...




When we got to the National Mall, there was a fence set up so we all had to enter through a security gate. When we got over by the Washington Monument, the Navy Band was performing. They sounded so awesome!


My beautiful niece, just watching everything going on around her.


The Washington Monument is so iconic. I love that you can see it from almost anywhere you are. It serves as a constant reminder of the city you're in.



From the Mall, we could see the South side of the White House. We found out after the fact that the President had a big celebration for some military troops and their families.


Samantha and me, waiting for fireworks to start. It was so special spending the holiday with her.


We enjoyed the most incredible firework show ever. I have honestly never seen anything like it.


After the fireworks, we all signed a giant Christmas card for the troops.





It was a long day for Samantha...


The park in front of the White House was closed off before the fireworks, but on our walk home we saw that they had opened up the street in front, so we went by to take pictures. So neat to stand that close and think of all the amazing men and their families that have lived there.


In short, I'd say it was one of the most memorable days of my life.

1 comment:

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

So jealous! That would be the ultimate Independence Day! (We should make that part of our future trip!) Looks like you had an absolute blast, I'm super happy for you. :)

P.S. Samantha is beautiful!