Monday, January 4, 2010

Dirty Little Secret

I would never, ever admit this to my dad. But lately I've been thinking about how neat it would be to work in law enforcement. This out-of-character desire isn't even entirely tied to my recent Matthew Gray Gubler/Shemar Moore driven obsession of Criminal Minds, either. :)

It started manifesting itself when I began working for the courts. I've always been most interested in the criminal side of the legal profession. I respect criminal defense attorneys not just because of my dad but because I have a very strong belief in both the presumption of innocence and our Constitutional right to a fair trial. But in working for the court I've begun to realize that (*gasp*) not all cops are bad.

Let me stop right here and clarify something. I don't want to be a cop. I would not enjoy that at all. But I think I could definitely do some form of investigative work. I mean, what's the point of majoring in History if it's not to learn that skill? This is just me daydreaming, but I just think working for the FBI would be kind of incredible.

Don't worry, I'm not seriously entertaining these thoughts. But when we filed on a case this afternoon with bail set at $2,000,000.00 for a homicide case that had been cold for 12 years, I thought, "What would that be like? To have the skills and resources to figure out that sort of mystery? . . . "

Okay actually, if I'm being honest, this is all a little bit influenced by my Criminal Minds obsession. But can you blame me?
Characters Reid and Morgan of Criminal Minds
represent the two extre
mes of my ideal man :)

4 comments:

jess said...

Between our Criminal Minds marathons and reading Stephanie Plum novels, I've been feeling the same way! :-)

Rosalee said...

I LOVE criminal minds! I have had dreams of being in the FBI since I've really gotten into the show. You should go for it!

Jen said...

Law Enforcement? Woot! Go Wend!

Kelli Searle said...

Ok, even after all of these years, we still have SO much in common!! Criminal Minds is my FAVORITE show!!! I watch it faithfully! Plus, I'm with you on the whole Spencer Reid/Derek Morgan train!! Woot Woo!!! :) Was the woot woo too over the top? Oh well! P.s. I owe you a hang out!